Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Kilitbahir Castle

Day Five

I fell asleep so quick yesterday that I forgot to tell you about Turkish food! Although it isn't as easily recognized as Italian pasta, Turkish food is hailed as being simple in presentation and not drowned in sauce like other cuisines (tukeyforyou.com).

Today I took a tour of Kilitbahir Castle, Acelya couldn't make it so I booked an English language tour. I learned that it was built in 1462 by Fatih Sultan Mehmet. It took 5000 workers 120 day to build and now is an important piece of history for Canakkale. I noticed the Persian and Macedonian influences in the archtecture. Which is no surprise considering that Alexander The Great conqered Turkey in his campaign.

I miss Acelya, maybe she can accompany me to Assos tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment